Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jesus Loves Me

Growing up attending church, Sunday school and the annual one or two VBS here and there, this song was a staple for little kids like my sister and I to sing. Children's choir, VBS graduation ... you name it.

Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak, but He is strong.

These are comforting words for a little kid, and they are so true, too. To feel loved by God, really, is a great feeling no matter your age. How great His love is!

But lately, I've had the second and third verse of this song on my heart and mind. Honestly, I didn't know the rest of the song until I bought a new CD for the boys to listen to in the car. It's Bible Songs, and the third track is Jesus Loves Me. The more and more I listened to this song, the more I came to realize that it's not just a kid's song that gives warm, fuzzy feelings, but instead it's a song with strong lyrics that tell the Gospel and gives praise to our Father.

Jesus loves me, He who died
Heaven's gates to open wide.
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.

Jesus take this heart of mine,
Make it pure and holy thine.
On the cross You died for me.
I will try to live for Thee.

Cash and I sing this over and over in the car, and I also sing it to B at night when I'm rocking him. What a beautiful song with a plea to the only One worthy - take this heart of mine, make it pure and holy! 

Heath and I talked about this song, too, on the way to church this weekend. Instead of being viewed as a simple children's song, wouldn't it be an awesome way to start worship on Sunday mornings? Maybe instead of a staple at VBS, it should be a regular for "big church" too!