Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day weekend

As many of my friends know, every Labor Day weekend, my dad and I travel somewhere in the states to a different baseball park. We've been doing this since my first year in college (1999), and thirteen years later, we are getting oh, so close to seeing a home game in every stadium. I think we only have six or seven to go. 

We had thought about going to Seattle this year, but we both decided we wanted to go back to New York to see a game in the new Yankee Stadium. Sure, we'd been to the old Yankee stadium many times, but we had not yet seen a game in the new one. The Yankees were at home this weekend, so we flew up to Albany Friday night for a weekend of baseball, the mountains, time with family, and some relaxing.


Saturday morning, we drove to Saugerties to catch the train down to the city. It was filled with Yankee fans, which got us excited. This train took us right to the stadium, perfect!


It followed the Hudson all the way down - beautiful sights of such a HUGE river. It amazes me that the Hudson River and the Barren River are both rivers - and they are completely different in size!


It was the perfect day for a train ride - clear and sunny!


This trip was so easy! We got off the train and saw this sign - so nice!


See it in the background? It was just a short walk from the train.


It was beautiful! It was kind of weird though - remembering back to the old stadium that was in this spot just years ago, completely gone. It's now replaced with lovely sidewalks, some little league fields, and memorial markers.


Inside, all the greats were recognized. Dad and I love walking around stadiums before the game, and we always try to get the stadiums right when they open. Plenty of time to sight-see and watch batting practice!


Yes, it was familiar, reminding us of the old stadium, but in most ways it was SO different. Open and airy, so high-tech and HUGE!


I got a kick out of this. On top of every surface were these spikey things to keep birds from roosting. Can you imagine doing this to the entire stadium?


See the billboard across the way? It was a memorial to "The Boss," George Stienbrenner.


One of my mom's favorite and mine, too, - the field crew dancing to YMCA between the third and fourth inning.


Right field at Yankee Stadium is special to me. I'm crazy, I know. Yes, I'm a Jeter fan, but I've always loved Paul O'Neill, who played right field. He retired years ago, and there have been a handful of men in this spot since then. I've begun to like the fun character and fan-loving personality of Nick Swisher though. He might just be my new favorite right-fielder. :)


I took this picture for Heath (and Kevin), who love Borat. Whenever there was a hit, he would show up on the screen. Hilarious!


Dad and I at the new stadium - true Yankee fans! They won 4-3 against the Orioles. It was a great game!


Oh, yes! There's number 21 - Paul O'Neill!


On the train ride home I tried to snap a picture of West Point. I should have taken one on the way up, but didn't have my camera ready. It was quite the scene.


Beautiful foothills right up on the river - this part of New York really is beautiful.

We spent the rest of the afternoon doing some back woods driving, and then we visited with some family back in Catskill that evening. Sunday we attended an outdoor church service on the Hudson River, had lunch with my aunt, uncle and cousin, and then researched some on our family tree. That night, dad and I had supper with one of his high school friends. Monday morning we ate breakfast in Leeds with my uncle, and then headed to Albany to fly home. Another wonderful Labor Day weekend with my dad...

No comments: