Saturday, February 5, 2011

An old fad, a favorite toy

Does anyone remember Pogs? Anyone?




Pogs were one of those quickly famous and rapidly fading out fads from the 1990's. (Kind of like slap bracelets and anything neon in the 1980's.) The purpose of having Pogs were to play the game Pog with them (that was a deep sentence, right?). Anyway, you collected Pogs, and then used the heavier Pogs to "slam" piles of them. The game reminds me a lot of marbles. You got in trouble, too, if you had them at school because the loser lost some of their Pogs. 





Point of this story?


Mom and Dad have some of our old Pogs at their house, complete with a Pog case and all, (They even have the ones handed out by our orthodontist...) and the boys (especially Kennick) loves to play with them. They don't actually play the Pogs game with them, but instead they toss them around, pick them back up, stack them, roll them, etc.


A few weeks ago while I was at my favorite craft store, I found some wooden nickels that gave me an idea. I could use the wooden nickels to make more Pogs with Cash. I'm always looking for fun ways to pass the time during cold winter days, and this was going to be our next project. We have been working on learning the alphabet with the two bigger boys. Some days we paint pictures with the letters, and other days we make the letters out of Play-doh. The perfect combination would be Pogs with the alphabet on them. Fun times!



Wooden Nickels


Grandad** and Cash painting the wooden nickels (soon to be Pogs)


Baylen wasn't interested in the paint, but instead he ate puffs off the wooden nickels.


They looked great!


After painting the other side, we applied stickers to each side.


Big letters on one side,


and little letters on the other.

Cash has already been stacking them, slamming them, and spelling his name with them. I love listening to him play with them. He'll pick up one and say the letter out loud. Most times he'll say a word that starts with the letter, too. Here's to an old fad that has become a new favorite!

** I think I've mentioned before that my dad is off work on Thursdays. He's such a great sport with my ideas and activities. He always participates - whether it balloon tennis, painting snow, making a kitchen out of cardboard, or making Pogs. We love Grandad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did i miss pogs? Never heard of them.
But back in the 1990's i could tell you how many inches a .270 winchester dropped at 500yds and how many ft-lbs of energy it carried.

It's easy to miss stuff when you are in the woods. Or do you see more.....?

bhd

Anonymous said...

I found you by searching for pogs on Google. The pog case caught my eye so I clicked it and here I am. I totally miss those. What good times it were, "Hey, do you have this pog? No? Aww, too bad!" Good times.