Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Kitchen: A Woman's Domain

I was reading an article on the History Channel's website (I know, weird, heh?) the other day about the history of the kitchen. It spoke about medieval  kitchens and even all the way back to the open-atrium type kitchens in the days of the Roman Empires. After reading through it, no matter the time period, kind of kitchen or even what was kept near the kitchen, there was always one common factor - it was always the woman's domain.

Thinking about this, I see it is true in my experience as well. When I picture my Granny, I see her in the kitchen, fixing a huge dinner for her family. My mom is the same way. I believe her love language is cooking for others. Kitchens are where mothers take care of their families. It's where memories are made cooking with little ones, and most of all, being in a kitchen relates a lot to nurturing - which is what mamas do best.

Where am I going with this? Well, of all the rooms in our new house, I'm most excited about the kitchen. Notice I said "the kitchen" not "my kitchen." Yes, I do most of the cooking, but Heath loves to cook and is a really good cook (thank you, Ann). So will it be "my domain?" I guess we'll just have to see. ;)

Here's a few sneak peeks of our kitchen:


Me checking out the under-the-cabinet lighting - how cool!


I'm super excited about all the space. If you were ever a visitor on Covington Street, you know we had an itsy-bitsy kitchen. No more running into each other in this kitchen!


My domain or not, Heath and I purposely planned the kitchen and family room to be open and inviting because we love to have friends over to enjoy all the blessings of life with.

You're welcome in my domain any time.

No comments: