Friday, May 27, 2011

My school year

Today is the last day for students in the school system where I taught for six years. Students have grins stretched from ear to ear awaiting that last bell, and I'm sure my teacher friends do as well. They've had 173 days of lesson plans, technology-integrated activities, test preparation, counseling sweet children, and long faculty meetings.


It makes me wonder - What has the past school year been like for me? 


I've completely mastered the grilled cheese and become an expert at hiding vegetables like broccoli and carrots in smoothies.


I've helped my lil' man become completely potty-trained while juggling an infant in the other arm.


I've answered questions like, "Why can't you lay an egg, mommy?" and "How long til dessert?"


I witnessed first hand the first time B sat up and his first steps.


I watched more than my share of Elmo, Thomas, Mickey and Little Einsteins.


I taught Cash to pedal his tricycle and identify all his letters.


I've packed an entire house and moved thirty minutes down the road.


I've wiped noses, hugged sick little bodies, and kissed boo-boos.


I've learned to repeat, "Love is patient, love is kind," when my patience is running thin.


I've finished loads of laundry and sinks full of dishes all while remembering snack time, lunch time and nap time.


I've come to appreciate what my mom did for my sister and I more than I ever thought I would.


I've fallen in love again and again with my husband, who works so hard so I can stay home with our two boys.


I've learned more than I could ever teach in a school year.

No comments: