Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Monsters and m&m's

Looking at the Letter of the Week curriculum that I pull our "school games" from, I saw that the letter M activities were based on m&m's. If you know me at all, you know that I love chocolate, and my favorite kind of chocolate is the irresistible, colorful m&m's. I was excited! I had also found another set of activities that were based on monsters. They went along great with the Monsters, Inc. movie that Cash loves, so I incorporated them into our week as well. On top of that monsters and m&m's fit perfectly into the week that started with Halloween! Here's a look at our week full of all things M!


Do you ever visit the dollar bin at Target? Love it! I was there a few weeks ago and found these foam hammers. I picked up two, one for each boy, but didn't know how I'd use them at the time. Then these monster cards surfaced and I had an instant game. 



We spread the monster cards out on the floor, I would say a letter, Cash would find it and then pop that monster with his hammer. Yes, it's a little "violent" if you want to think about it long and hard, but to Cash it was great fun, and to me it was a great way to work on letter recognition!


Cash colored his m&m sheet. I decided to make it easier to remember the colors of the candies, we needed to snack on some while we colored. :)



Baylen agreed!


Grammy found these great magnets at the Dollar General in Glasgow. Cash used them this week on his monster magnet page.



B played with them, too. Like I said, sometimes he loves doing what Cash is doing, and other times he's not a bit interested in our "school games!"


Bubba (my sister) gave the boys marshmallow monster suckers for Halloween. How perfect!



They loved them! (Can you tell I was ready for a mess? I totally stripped them down before they started eating them!)


More fun with m&m's. We sorted our m&m's, too. Cash was such his mama's boy when it came to this. He'd sort some, and then he'd say, "Now I'm just going to eat this one orange one, mommy."


We practiced making patterns...



and making designs with our m&m's. We wanted to make it look just like the picture, but we didn't have enough yellow ones. Close enough...


Baylen was very close by every time we did "school games" this week that involved eating chocolate!


We also visited the pet store in town to buy some food for Ruth this week. While we were there we learned that M is also for MOUSE. They loved, absolutely loved, watching the mice play on the wheel. What a fun trip! We may have to go back next week, T is for turtle!

We ended the week by eating some marshmallows (with graham crackers and chocolate!) while watching one of Cash's favorite movie, Monsters, Inc.

No comments: