Sunday, February 19, 2012

Grammy turns 60!

Yes. My mom turned 60. I don't think she'd mind a bit that I announce that on my blog, either. She seemed to take turning sixty very well, not that it's a horrible thing. I don't think anyone, really, in our family seems to take milestone birthdays negatively. It's another birthday, another year to look back, celebrate and thank God for it all.

And that's just what we did on Saturday, February 4th. Her birthday was actually the 6th, but we all got together Saturday afternoon. It started by Karalee and I taking mom to the movies. We saw The Miracle. It was a great movie. I haven't seen a lot of movies in the past four or five years, but the ones I've seen recently have been very enjoyable. We had planned on taking Mom out to Red Lobster, one of her favorite restaurants, for supper with the whole gang, but the evening didn't really go as planned. When we got to the restaurant, we were told there would be an hour wait for our party of nine. Wow. The boys were a bit hungry already, so we knew that wouldn't work. What was mom's second choice? Chuck E. Cheese! We headed to the mall, and although it was packed with birthday parties, we had a great time. Mom loves playing skee ball, the boys ran around playing games and riding rides, we scarfed down three large pizzas (wow!), and had a great time. No, it wasn't Red Lobster, but it was still fun family time!


Afterwards, we headed back to our house to have birthday cake (and pie) and open a few presents. Here's mom with the boys and her presents. 



Baylen helped open one of the presents. It's hard for an adult to unwrap their own presents anymore. There's just so much help around!



Cash helped to unwrap this one. We got her a lighted mirror, some gift cards and a new book.



Truth be told: my mom is diabetic, so she can't really have birthday cake, but she asked for one so the boys could have cake and help blow out her candles. So I made the boys a funfetti cake, while Karalee made mom a sugar free pecan pie.



And yes, the boys helped blow out the candles!

What can I say? My mom is the best. No, really, she is seriously the best. She's what holds this family together. Her helping out so much this past week when both my boys were sick is just a small sampling of the things she does for just us Doggetts, not to mention everyone else. The boys think she's the best thing ever, and I think Heath and I would probably agree!

Happy 60th birthday, Grammy! 

**Note** Cash, Baylen and I ended up taking mom to Red Lobster on Monday, her actual birthday, after we went to Musikgarten. :)

No comments: