Monday, February 20, 2012

Heath's birthday

Last Saturday, February 11th, we celebrated Heath's birthday. I'd been asking him all week what he wanted to do to celebrate his 34th birthday, but he gave me no ideas. "It's just another day," he would say. You see, birthdays weren't such a big deal for Heath's family, but in my family, it wasn't unusual to celebrate a few days out of the month, or for me, the entire month! :)

We started the day with Heath's favorite breakfast. I had invited his dad, Alison, Chris and Nick over for a Doggett-style breakfast complete with sausage, bacon, eggs, cheese grits, biscuits and tomato gravy. (Yes, tomato gravy.) Everyone enjoyed the yummy food, but Baylen. He had been running a low fever the night before and didn't wake up looking like he was feeling any better. In fact, he was warmer and fussy.

After breakfast, the boys and I gave Heath his birthday presents:

Not the best picture - Cash was looking down, and it looks like my boys could be spokespeople for fruit-striped gum. Ha! The boys got Daddy a pitchfork. He had been wanting one so he could turn the compost pile. We went to ACE Hardware one day that week so they could help pick it out. It was a huge deal, and I was so relieved that they were able to keep it a secret.


Again, there is never a shortage of help when it comes to opening presents around here. Both the boys dug in and helped Heath open the present from me.

It was an exercise ball chair. Have you seen these? Heath used to sit on an exercise ball when he was working or studying at his desk, but after the move, our exercise ball was MIA. Then he saw that my sister had an exercise ball chair and was very intrigued. I ordered one from Amazon, and he was super excited.


PawPaw was there, so he helped Heath and the boys put it together.


Here they are inflating the ball, and sadly, that's all the pictures I took. I'll have to take a picture sometime to show what it looks like completely assembled.

B looks like he's feeling well in this last picture, but truth is, he was feeling pretty rotten. I had already made plans for that night for us to go to one of Heath's college friend's house to grill out and play Rook. We used to head down to Westmoreland pretty often for these kind of late nights before the boys were born, but lately, we just hadn't been able to get together. So for Heath's birthday, mom and dad agreed to watch the boys overnight so we could hang out, relax and play some cards. 

So even though I felt sad for leaving my sick little one with Grammy (although knowing she was perfectly capable), we headed down to Richard and Mary Lucy's for a fun night of yummy food and some laughs. Mom and dad managed just fine overnight with the boys, although it was the start of a yucky week of sick little boys for us. Overall, I think it was a pretty fun birthday for my hubby. Happy, happy birthday, Heath!



No comments: