Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Grandad's birthday

My dad's birthday was April 6th. We celebrated the following evening at our house. While we were waiting for everyone to arrive and Heath to finish the burgers, we let the boys practice their egg-hunting skills in the backyard. I'm thinking it was chilly last Easter and Baylen didn't hunt many eggs, so really, this was his first year. I wanted to give him some time to practice before all the egg-hunting at Gran-Granny's house.


Here's Cash showing him how it's done. Mom and I hid some in real obvious places at first.



Baylen began to catch on, but somehow he didn't get the message about putting them in the basket after he found them. So here he is holding his basket in one hand and two eggs in the other.



I showed him how to put the eggs in the basket, and after that, he really took off. From novice to proficient egg-hunter in just a few minutes!



As you can tell, Cash was doing very well at finding the eggs.



He did help Baylen out quite a bit. I thought it was cute how Cash would show Baylen where they were, just like we used to do when Cash was younger. What a good big brother!



This was great - Mom would tell the boys to go inside and hide their eyes while she hid them again. B took her seriously.

After supper, we had yummy, yummy banana cake for dessert. It's my dad's favorite, and he asks for it every year. My mom uses my grandma's recipe (dad's mother) that she used when dad was growing up. It's so good, right down to the frosting.



Three grandboys cheesing with the birthday boy



Of course, my two would feel the need to help Grandad blow out the candles.



The cake was devoured by all, and then the boys got down to play some more before it was time for the party to wrap up. I didn't get any pictures of the opening presents part of the party, but just know it was a fun time of family celebrating the life of a very special dad and Grandad!


No comments: