Monday, April 16, 2012

Kale chips

Did you hear that I went absolutely crazy with spinach a few months ago? We had spinach in salads, lasagna, smoothies, and on sandwiches. You name it, I added spinach to it. Well, now I'm trying a new food - kale! (Is it a super food? I'll have to look that up.) Anyway, the farm down the road grows organic kale, so I put in an order and have been adding it to the boys' smoothies and trying new recipes with it. Here's one that our holistic practitioner suggested: 

Kale chips

Wash and dry a handful of kale. Pull the leaves from the stalk and lay them on a baking sheet. Lightly dab on some olive oil and sea salt. Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees. It suggested adding some shredded cheese, but I thought I'd try them plain first.


Here's the before



And here's the after



This is what they looked like up-close. 

Honestly, I didn't care for them, but I think I went way too heavy on the salt. If I try them again, I'll add the cheese. Heath liked them, or so he said as the container is still in the kitchen half-full. The boys wouldn't touch them. I think it was because when they picked them up, they crumbled in their not-so-gentle hands. 

Oh, well. Just goes to show that some recipes are keepers and some aren't. I'm going to try this one next.

No comments: