Friday, October 19, 2012

I gotta home down on the river...

Tuesday afternoon it wasn't too chilly out, so after some naps for my two little guys, we put on our jackets and boots and headed down the hill to see the river. During the summer, the river seems to far away because the leaves on the trees and the undergrowth down the hill block if from our view. The water is usually pretty low during the summer, too. But since the leaves were falling and they were letting the water out of the lake up the river, we could start to see (and hear) the water down the hill from us.
 
 
I think I posted something on FB this afternoon - Mop or take a hike with my boys?
I seriously didn't have to think twice about this one. I love time with my boys, especially outside, and no kidding, I hate mopping. :)

 
Cash brought his "anchor." It's a yellow plastic anchor attached to a yellow string. It kept getting caught on EVERYthing going down the hill. It gave us something to laught about, for sure.

 
Fun times are sitting on a hillside with big brother and his anchor. (he, he)

 
When we got down to the river, we immediately discovered a problem. We found NO rocks! Not one - so what could they throw? We found some sticks, but Cash was already making plans to bring his dump truck full of rocks next time we came down. What fun is a river with no rocks to throw?!

 
Yes, she always follows us when we go for walks.

 
Cash was busy getting his anchor hung in everything while B threw some sticks in the water. Good ol' fashioned fun!

 
It occurred to me while we were down there that my little B is now the age that Cash was when we started building the house. (I remember Cash falling in the mud with this jacket on.) Time flies when you're raising babies!

 
I think he agrees. What a happy face!

 
Someone had some sass here - still upset over the lack of rocks to throw.

 
Oh, the faces of my B...

 
The leaves were still changing, but you could see the yellow and orange in the maples around the river. The water was high and fast-moving that day.

 
See all those sticker-bushes? We aim to clean those out so it's easier to see the river and throw rocks/sticks - maybe one day. Right now it's a great barrier for these two little ones.

 
Dirty pants - he thought sliding down part of the hill would be fun!

 
The Barren River -- the boys love the Josh Turner song, "I got a home down on the river..." They sing it all the time in the car, country drawl (sp?) and everything.

 
I decided to take some mommy-boy pictures before we started up the hill. Me with the one who made me a mommy - he's so big!

 
And me with my crazy little nutty goofball! :)
 
 
And then it was time to hike back up to the house. Shew! What a workout!

No comments: