Friday, January 21, 2011

Whole Wheat Berry Muffins


So I haven't posted in awhile because I told myself I wouldn't post until I finished my New Year's goals post. It takes a bit more thinking than pictures and a few words. But, of course, I just haven't had the time this week. The boys' naps haven't overlapped. There have been many errands to run, and now there is snow to play in...

So I decided to post one of my favorite recipes. These are THE best muffins ... ever. Cash is a huge fan (and so were the two guys that came last week to replace my windshield - I shared.)

Here it is - Whole Wheat Berry Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

2 eggs
1 cup yogurt (I use Stoneyfield organic)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup berries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, mix eggs, yogurt, vanilla and butter. Toss berries into flour mixture and bounce to coat (this is important for even distribution of berries in muffins). Pour liquid mixture into dry mix and stir. Spoon into cups. Bake 20-25 minutes or until brown on top. Makes from 12-18 muffins.

I used blueberries this morning because it's what I had. Sometimes I use blueberries and raspberries. Yum! I've also used strawberries (cut up), bananas, and even nuts. In other words, you can use a cup of just about anything. By using yogurt instead of oil you save about 150 calories and 18 grams of fat for each muffin. It makes them moist, too.

Let me know if you try them and what you think of them. Enjoy!

No comments: