Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January reads

At the beginning of the year, I posted my 2012 Reading List. It had 24 books on it, two for each month, that I was hoping to read this year. I mentioned that I was hesitant to post it, because I didn't want to worry about it if I wasn't successful with it. Well, the first month is through, and I'm happy to say that I read not just two books, but three! I'm also up-to-date on my Bible reading and my D.A. Carson devotions. I'll have to admit, they were all three great books, which I think is one of the biggest reasons I finished three. I couldn't put them down! (This is the biggest reason I got behind on my blogging. I was reading during the boys' nap time instead of blogging.)


A dear friend emailed me half-way through the month and asked how I was doing with my reading list. I emailed her back to tell her I was on my third book, and she encouraged me to write a brief review on here of each book. Heath also mentioned that I should blog about what I thought about the books, especially what I learned from the first, Twelve Ordinary Men. So here goes...


Twelve Ordinary Men, by John MacArthur


This was one of the books that Heath suggested that I read. I have read Twelve Extraordinary Women (also by JMac), but never this book that preceded about the twelve apostles. Before reading the book, I thought I knew who they were. I could name them and tell you a few facts about them both while they were with Jesus and after His death and resurrection, but after reading just a few pages in this book, I found out I was wrong. This book was packed full of so much information on these twelve important men! You can read the scriptures over and over, but John MacArthur seemed to connect-the-dots with history and scripture to really dig in to the lives of these men. 
On the other hand, this book told a lot about why Jesus chose these men and not others, like rabbis, priests or scholars. Instead he chose twelve men who were nobodies, who struggled with their own sin, the power of God and even commitment. Honestly, they were quite dense about it all. 
Which made me think -- hey, that's just like me. God took these men and shaped them into what He needed them to be and what he needed them to do. It opened my eyes to see that He's constantly doing the same to me. Loved this book!


The Paris Wife by Paula McLain


Awesome book. I guess I need to say more than that. This book is about Hadley Richardson, Ernest Hemingway's first wife. It starts with the two being in the states, meeting through a mutual friend and throughout the book, the two marry, live in Paris, but travel all over Europe, have a child together, and (because we know he had four wives) eventually get divorced. Wow. I had no idea that Hemingway was such a selfish pig-headed man. This story is told through Hadley's perspective, so it breaks your heart to know she completely supported him while he was trying to become a writer. She was lonely and heartbroken throughout their marriage, but eventually found love again after Hemingway. 
I loved that this book was so factual, although still fiction. It took you to Paris in the 20's during the jazz age and when everyone enjoyed their alcohol, and names like Gertrude Stein and F. Scott Fitzgerald were still unknown. 
I think I loved this book because it was historical fiction, about a favorite author, and it had a bit of romance, too. McLain is a great writer, very artistic in style, which I appreciate. Thanks to Amy for recommending this book!


The Help by Kathryn Stockett


What can I say? If the book could be nominated for an Oscar, too, it would definitely win. This 400 plus page book took me about a week to read. I couldn't put it down. I got behind on laundry, ironing, dishes and house cleaning. Yeah, it basically got me in trouble, but it was well worth it. (I'm caught up now, by the way.) I'm sure most people know the plot of this book, since it's already been in the theaters. Based in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960's, this book is told from the voices of three ladies. One is a young, white girl just out of college who decides to write a book telling the story of black ladies who raise white children for their employers. The other two are black ladies who have spent their lives working for white families and raising their children (among other things.) This book is also a bit historical, so it was right up my alley. Stockett is also a wonderful writer who made this a definite page turner. I don't want to give anything away since it's a hit movie right now. I'm hoping to see the movie soon, although I'm number 57 on the waiting list to borrow it from the library. :)


Right now I'm squeezing in a book that's not on my reading list, The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. It's also coming out as a movie in April, so I'm wanting to read it before then. When I finish this one, I'll pick up where I left off with my reading list with Bringing Up Boys.

1 comment:

Sara Crane said...

Ohhh yeah!!! I loved this post - makes me wish I was more of a disciplined reader. Thanks so much for the reviews, they all sound fabulous!! I just may have to download some of these onto my kindle...