Thursday, January 26, 2012

My birthday present from Heath

This year for my birthday, I asked for a very specific present from Heath. It's a present that I'm sure not too many wives have asked for as a birthday present. I'd been wanting to start a compost pile for some time. I'd read a lot on the benefits of one - fertilizer for flower beds, the garden, cutting down on garbage (in our case, less scraps down the garbage disposal and septic tank). So a few weeks before my birthday, I told Heath I wanted a compost bin for my 31st birthday. 

I'm not sure what I was expecting. I had seen the compost bins that you can buy, compost bins made out of old watering troughs, pallets, and garbage cans. I left it up to Heath, though. 


He starting working on the bin the second week of January. My dad even came down to help one afternoon. He used some scrap wood that he had, but bought most of the stuff in town. Here's part of it, as it was being assembled.


Hmm... here's some more supplies that were going to be used.



And here's the boys standing with Heath in the frame. Seemed kind of big to me, but I knew we had lots of leaves and could accumulate a lot of kitchen scraps. 



Sweet face -- loves helping Daddy downstairs in the basement.

The other night, I took the boys to Glasgow to get haircuts, and we stayed and had supper with my parents. Heath came home early, and after doing some work in his office, went downstairs to finish the compost bin. He sent me a picture of the finished project:


Isn't it fancy? I love it! (I'm crazy, I know.) It has a nice roof on top, and the front slats slide out so we (probably Heath) can mix it all up and also scoop out the nutrient-rich finished project.
What a talented compost-bin-making-husband I have!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got back to blogging, I had missed them. Only you would ask for such a present.