Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins

Last year, I posted one of our favorite muffin recipes. I use it a lot for the boys for breakfast, and I love that I can use any kind of berries, bananas, nuts, or whatever in it. It's a pretty healthy recipe, too. Whole wheat, yogurt, fresh berries and not too much sugar.

But there's another muffin recipe that we love around here, too, and just like the other recipe, I can add in any kind of berries.The only difference is that this one is much more sweet, and, of course, not as healthy. It even has sugar sprinkled on top of them, if that tells you anything.

Baylen and I made them the other morning. Here's a look at how it's done, and I've included the recipe, too, in case you're interested.


When I mentioned making muffins, of course B wanted to help. I sat him on top of the island in the kitchen and put him to work. Here he is mixing the dry ingredients.


As I was mixing some of the other ingredients, Baylen was playing with the measuring spoons. (Aren't those fun measuring spoons? They were a Christmas present from mom. Love them!)


B's holding up the one and a half cups of fresh blueberries. Cheese! (He could not wait to pour them in.)


And here they are, yummy!

Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (it calls for kosher salt, but in my experience, it doesn't matter)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup (yes, that's one full stick) butter
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (again, you can use raspberries, bananas, nuts, whatever...)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Make a well in the center. Melt the stick of butter in a saucepan on the stove. Once it melts, swirl the pan until the butter begins to brown (hence the name) and smell nutty, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the butter, milk and (beaten) egg into the well of the flour and stir to combing (a few lumps is okay). Fold in the blueberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining sugar on top. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes. It usually makes 18 muffins for me. Enjoy!



3 comments:

Sara Crane said...

Oh these look SO Yummy! I can't wait to try them for my boys!

Anonymous said...

They look good and the chef assistant is adorable (as always).

Sara Crane said...

I made these for Isaiah's preschool treats yesterday. They made the prefect amount and were perfectly yummy as well!