Monday, October 10, 2011

Comfort

Once a week, I do the absolute unthinkable. Yes, as a mother I have to do it. I take Baylen's blanket (woobie) away from him and wash it. Horrible, right? Honestly, it needs it more often than just once a week, but because it is sometimes a traumatic time for B, I just wash it once. 


Here he is waiting patiently. This is on a good day. Most of the time I sneak it from him during lunch or before we go outside to play. 

It makes me ask myself, Is there anything that comforts me like that blanket comforts B?

Definitely. It's my Lord and Savior. Although I may think I've had it hard a few times in my life, it's nothing, I know, compared to what a lot of people battle, either with their jobs, marriages, family, children, health, etc. There have been times when I've completely fallen on my face and turned to God, because I knew that He was all that could comfort and guide me during that period. I've prayed knowing that He was Sovereign and talking to Him would give me the peace and comfort that I needed during that time.

Of course, there's also scripture that comforts me. The Bible is God-breathed. Every word was ordained by His power. Here are some that I remember in those rough times...

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.   - Joshua 1:9

These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world. - John 16:33

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. - Psalm 23:4

Which passages comfort you most?


I pray that one day, B will also find more comfort in God's word that in his woobie, but until then, I'm sure to find him waiting (sometimes) patiently for it in the laundry room.

1 comment:

beth keltner said...

this makes my heart smile! look at that sweet little face!