Saturday, October 8, 2011

Simple ideas

Cash has been loving some of the activities that we do around here during the week with his letters. Some of his favorites include anything with patterns and finding the one that "doesn't belong." These are some of the ones that are geared more toward problem solving and critical thinking, so it makes me think that he's definitely going to have more of the engineer mind than the so-called "colors and creative" mind that I have. :)


This is an example of a pattern activity. It's two different patterns that are missing the last two objects. He reads the pattern aloud and, with no problem at all, finds the right objects and glues them in. I'm excited about next week's pattern activity because it allows Cash to make his own. Fun times...



And this is B's favorite thing to do while we are working on some activities. Easy to put together, it includes fuzzy balls, an egg carton and some tweezers. The tweezers we use are plastic, purple ones that came with some candy. When you squeeze them, they light up, added fun!



He uses the tweezers to pick up the fuzzy balls and drop them into the egg carton. It's great for strengthening his grasp. I try to get him to put one fuzzy ball in each hole, but it usually doesn't happen that way. He'd rather pile them all into one.



I love that Heath gets in on some of the activities, too. Usually after supper, Cash wants to show daddy his "school games" that he did that day. Sometimes after showing them to him and explaining what he did, I'll have another one ready for Heath to do with the boys. On this night, I had the geoboard out and suggested they work together to make an E. 



And they did!



B just loved snapping the rubber bands. I can tell he's going to be dangerous with these one day!

Throughout the week we examined plenty of eggs, learning the yolk and the egg white. I had contemplated making some enchiladas, but since I knew I didn't like them, I didn't want to go there. :) But we did end the week by watching Dumbo together, a movie that has become one of Cash's favorites.

No comments: