Saturday, March 31, 2012

March reads

I wish I could stay as caught up on my blogging as I am caught up on my reading. I really think that one gets in the way of the other though. Reading also tends to get me behind in the area of housework, too. Oh, well! I finished three more books in March. Only one was on my book list, though. I read one of my March books in February, so I just had Kisses from Katie to read for this month. Of course, I found two other great books to fill my time though.


Kisses from Katie -by Katie Davis


Wow, and let me say again, wow! This book is written by a young lady from Brentwood, Tennessee (just down the road), who left the "normal" life here in the states to serve as a missionary in Uganda, Africa. As she said in the book, God came in a completely threw her plans for her life out the window and gave her a much better, bigger plan for her life. She's an amazing believer who is completely sold out for Christ. She left her home, parents, boyfriend, college plans and is now living in the heat of the African sun raising thirteen girls whom she has adopted! She's known all over her area as the one who helps anyone in need. She started an organization to help feed and educate many, many orphans, and just continues to give herself over to the work for the kingdom. It's an absolutely amazing story. Her blog continues to tell her story, too, if you're interested: www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com


Choosing to See -by Mary Beth Chapman


I had picked this book up Sam's (yes, an odd place to buy a book, right?) a month or so ago, knew of the family and parts of their story, but figured I could get Mary Beth's side of it all by reading the book. You see, Mary Beth Chapman is the wife of Steven Curtis Chapman, a popular Christian contemporary musician. I've listened to his music since I was in middle school. I remember hearing through the news that they had lost of of their adopted daughters through a horrible accident where their son ran hit her with his car. This book is Mary Beth's journey through life, meeting her to-be husband, their early years, their first three children, and their adoption journey to adopt their three young girls. It also goes through the accident where they lost their sweet girl, and the months and years afterward. It shows this precious lady's heart through and through, her growth, her grieving, and her joy. I cried all over this book, but her faith through everything (including two house fires!) blessed my heart.


The Rescue -by Nicholas Sparks


After the last Nicholas Sparks book was so, so very good (and the fact that mom brought me her entire Nicholas Sparks library), I decided that I could squeeze another one in before it was time for my April books. Mom suggested The Rescue, explaining that it was the first Sparks book that she had read and thought it was wonderful. Well, while it was a great book, I'm not sure wonderful would be the word I would use to describe it. Keep in mind I loved The Lucky One, so this next book had a lot to live up to. The plot of this story includes a single mother raising a special needs child who has to be rescued in a storm by a volunteer fire fighter. Long story short, she falls in love with him, and although he has some major issues from his past, they live happily ever after. 


Oh, me. I'm now reading Calm My Anxious Heart and The Coal Tattoo. No, I don't usually read two books at the same time, but the latter is an incentive to read the former. I'll explain next month.

1 comment:

Sara Crane said...

Oh funny! I emailed you about 12 hours too early - or should have checked your blog first before emailing, hu?! :-) thanks for the book reviews and updates! :-)