Thursday, December 1, 2011

Advent: Counting down to Jesus' birthday

Last year, LH encouraged the families of the church to participate in an Advent celebration with their children. They suggested starting traditions, working together in mission-related activities, and of course, celebrating the birth of our Savior by reading scripture and and daily devotions with our little ones. At first Heath and I thought that Cash would be too young, but after a few weeks in late November of hearing nothing but, "I want a Thomas Shake-Shake Bridge for Christmas!" we changed our mind. We knew that if he was old enough to be influenced by the secular side of Christmas, then he was old enough to be taught the true meaning of Christmas and to celebrate it.

So every night, we lit the Advent candles, read scripture with Cash, talked with him about our devotion, sang a Christmas song, and prayed. It was a sweet time with our 'lil man (we did this after B went down -at nine months we knew he was too young). I believe that he learned a lot in those four weeks, and Heath and I were able to sit and reflect on the awesome-ness of Christ Jesus, too.

This year is no different. Heath and I knew we wanted to celebrate Advent every day/night with both our boys this year. I started early looking for a good resource to use for two little ones. Honestly, it wasn't easy getting Cash to sit still last year for scripture reading and a discussion over a devotion. It was a little mature for him, but we made it work. This year, I wanted something that could be used for both our guys, but at the same time, impress the details of the Advent season into their little hearts and minds.


And I think we have found just the thing. Last night after the boys went to bed, Heath and I hung 24 Advent bags across the window frames in the kitchen. Each bag includes a clue, scripture, a short devotion, and materials to make a very simple ornament that corresponds with it all. I'm hoping that each day/night we can work through these bags, learn about Jesus and the season, and make some great family memories.


When the boys came downstairs this morning, they were very excited. "Yook, mommy! What are dos bags doing there?!" All B said was, "Wow!"

I'll try to keep my blog up-to-date with some pictures as we make, learn, and fill our home with the love and warmth of the season.

2 comments:

Sara Crane said...

oh wow - how totally awesome is that??!! What a super thing to do with your boys!! Makes my themed meals pale in comparison, that's for sure!!

Anonymous said...

Your gran-daddy would be so proud of you, I know your aunt is.