Monday, December 12, 2011

Mary and Elizabeth, from a mother's view

Closer to the end of the week, our Advent lessons have been focused on Mary and Elizabeth as mothers carrying John and baby Jesus and also on Mary's song of praise that is recorded in the first chapter of Luke. I have read this chapter many, many times, but as we read through these scriptures this week, it's stayed on my mind and in my heart. 


Cash and B love listening for the clue words as Heath's reads the scripture. On this night, we were listening for the names Mary and Elizabeth. When he hears them, he raises his hand.


I think B just thinks it's fun to raise his hand. He always raised it a few words after Cash did.


After reading about Mary's visit from the angel, we read about her visit and stay with Elizabeth. The boys used their water colors to paint the paper dolls.


Heath and B painted Mary and Elizabeth and their clothes, too.



It was a quiet time where we enjoyed discussing the story of Mary arriving at Elizabeth's home.


I think Heath really enjoyed painting with the boys. :)


We used pop dots to make their "baby bellies" stick out a bit. Cute!


Of course, we talked about how they were each in "mommy's belly" when they were growing, too.


The next night, we read Mary's song from Luke 1. We tried our best to explain it to the boys. I'm not sure if I remember ever taking the time to really read it and meditate on it a bit. It's a beautiful song of praise.


After reading the song of praise, we made our own "beautiful music" by decorating old CDs with flat marbles.


Heath and I were really surprised that Cash knew what the clue was. He saw it and said, "Music!" All that Little Einstein's is paying off, I guess.


They really decorated their CDs pretty heavily, which made the CDs quite heavy themselves.


Reading back through Mary's song, I can't even begin to imagine what was going through her mind and the emotions that she was feeling. A friend at church sang Heaven's Child yesterday during worship, and it really put into perspective the fact that the Lord came as a real baby and made Mary and Joseph first-time parents. It's important to focus on the Christ child, but sometimes I think we tend to overlook the impact that Jesus' birth made on two young people. 

To become a parent is an amazing thing, something that I wouldn't trade for the world. I treasure my boys and try to thank God for making me their mother as often as I think of it. I know sometimes that I take it for granted, having two healthy boys. Especially recently as friends of ours have lost a baby, so close to Christmas, it has really impressed on my heart how truly blessed I am. I do believe that God's plan is perfect and that He holds my life in His hands. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm humbled by God's unfailing love for me and His immeasurable blessings that He continues to pour out on me and my family. I'm so grateful for God sending His son for us, and I'm also thankful that a young, faithful girl believed what the angel told her and rejoiced in becoming the mother of the King.

No comments: