Thursday, December 22, 2011

A simple, special Christmas

Before we started carting presents to family get-togethers, I thought I would post a picture of our Christmas tree surrounded by presents, so here it is:


I know what you're thinking. The bottom half of the tree doesn't have lights. Well, it does, they just decided to stop working about a week ago. Nice. I didn't really feel the need to take the ornaments off, especially since the bottom half of the tree is where Cash and B have been hanging all their Advent ornaments, take the bad lights off and replace them with working lights. You see, I'm not much of a decorator. Don't get me wrong. I celebrate the season and want it to be so very special for our two boys. I'm just not a frilly decorator. Our tree is only five-foot tall, the one I had in college, and there are four stockings hanging from the mantle. Our tree is simple, filled with ornaments that each have a memory. That's it. I didn't decorate the outside of the house this year. I guess because we live back in the woods at the end of a dead-end road. I still expect to have a fun, special, Christ-filled Christmas with my family though - just not a super fancy Martha Stewart one. 


I will have to say that the gifts look awesome this year. However, my mom (Saint!) wrapped most of them and did the bows. I bought the paper and ribbon though. (I'm not sure if I dislike wrapping presents because I'm not good at it, or if I'm not good at it because I don't like wrapping presents.)


The Christmas spirit is definitely around, though. As we are getting closer to Jesus' birthday, we are enjoying more and more each Advent devotion that we do. Lately we've been studying the sheep, shepherds, the star and the wise men. I guess this is another reason why I don't stress over the fanciness of the Christmas season. I am truly thankful for the real reason for Christmas. I hope that the boys look back at our family Christmas time and remember learning about the birth of our Savior, not the fact that their mother isn't much on decorating! :)

Update: After going to Heath's sister, Stacy's, house Friday night, I pledge right now to do better at decorating. You see, Stacy and Nathan's house was decorated so beautifully. There was garland, lights, yard decorations, a huge tree, snowmen everywhere, wreaths, and more lights. Cash loved it! He immediately decided that he wanted to go home and decorate his "new house" and "my grass and trees." Maybe next year we'll do a little more just for these two little guys.

No comments: